Tuesday, February 27, 2007

more art bloggers suckered

this is the sort of non-item, kind of clever thing that makes art so hard to deal with. A publicity seeking hacker imitates an artist who twenty years ago imitated somebody doing something clever so that we can all, again, elbow each other because we get it while the rest of the world wonders why we are impressed by such trivial things. If you want to write, write a book. If you want to do propaganda studies, do them in a format that matters and for an audience that can make a difference. Impressing other artists with pseudo-intellectualism just keeps getting easier.

5 comments:

  1. yes, this is invigorating. i enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think this is really clever though - I mean Holzer isn't interesting I agree, but I think this kind of prank has the potential to call attention to something that does matter: The fact that the president of MoMA as being paid larges sums of money that weren't disclosed to the public. More than five million dollars could be put to better uses than paying one person's mortgage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A point very well taken. It seems the MOMA website gets more attention than I give it credit for. Maybe Holzer actually hired a hacker ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whereas I agree to some degree with this "cleverness" that SOA speaks about, it is a mentality only engrained in the U.S., as I never see this sort of thing elsewhere. As I personally enjoy Holzers work, especially her low-tech truisms, I ask myself - Who else am I going to look at from that time period? Schnabel? And perhaps David Rockefeller and Agnes Gund are the names we should be hacking. As I said before, our dollar bill should not say, "In God We Trust" rather "In our Board of Trustees We Trust"

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh bite it powerlines, the whole German and Italian expressionist movements are from the same time period and I have no problem with those. As I always say, Kiefer Me and Kiefer you and you for me ALOOOOOOONE !!

    ReplyDelete